Mac Property Management
- Management is very responsive to residents' needs.
- Conveniently located next to public transit or retail options.
What could be better
- Management can be disorganized when it comes to move ins/outs.
- Maintenance staff leaves something to be desired.
Recent Mac Property Management reviews
Solid place to live!
Amenities and staff are wonderful. Really accessible by CTA, metra, and UChicago bus system. 24 hour maintenance is a godsend, and everyone is always willing to go the extra mile to help you. Small gym, but LA Fitness is very close, so it's not a problem at all. Close to great food and grocery stores as well. Overall 8.5/10!
Decent but not great. Building is a bit old, not super secure
Management is pretty responsive but sometimes are very disorganized especially when it comes to moving in and out. The elevator isn't very good either and very slow. Overall, an okay place to live but should be cheaper given the facilities.
Mac Property Review
The water sometimes shuts off during the middle of the night. This has happened several times. The staff does not give consistent answers to questions and it is unclear what the policy is regarding certain things. It is hard to reach the management staff at times.
The apartment building itself is not so bad, but the management company is horrible. They are consistently unreliable and unresponsive. When they do finally get around to doing repairs, the repairmen are rude and the work is shotty at best. They can never seem to fix even the simplest thing correctly the first time.
East Park Tower
Not great, but not bad. Not as modern as Regents or Shoreland, but quiet and great location on 53rd. MAC Management (so not good), but the maintenance guys on-site are very friendly and respond quickly.
Love the Shoreland!
I've lived at the Shoreland for all three years of law school, and I couldn't imagine living anywhere else. The apartments, recently renovated, are beautiful -- nice fixtures and appliances, very clean, and very comfortable. The location can't be beat; the 171 bus stops right outside and takes me directly to the law school. MAC Property Management has its well-documented issues, but the staff here at the Shoreland have always been friendly and helpful.
The apartment itself is nice. It is spacious and the finishes are above average. The view is nice. The gym has good cardio equipment and so-so weight training equipment. I still feel the price is artificially inflated, and that Mac arbitrarily raises the rent at the end of the lease to induce turnover.
Convenience comes at a price
- Getting my lease set up was very easy, particularly as I was doing it from overseas.
- Apartment is a good size, warm, and has a nice view.
- Mac Properties is very prompt and effective with performing maintenance.
- Good location - walking distance from Whole Foods and all the shops on 53rd, and fairly quick bus trip to UChicago, but also not too far away from Downtown.
- There are plenty of hidden costs, most of which are unfair. For example, Mac Properties "generously" waived my "application fee" but then charged me with an "administration fee" for processing my application. After reviewing my application, Mac then charged me a second "administration fee" on the basis that I was a foreigner (I am not making this up) which I really had no option but to pay seeing as I had already paid the first fee (which was non-refundable). Where I come from we have a word for this: "extortion". A further example is that you have to pay your utilities through Mac, and they charge you a not insignificant "service" fee for being the middleman between you and the utilities company. Unfortunately the moment there is a problem with any utilities Mac's "services" will suddenly be unavailable and they will tell you to deal with the utilities company directly (even though Mac will often be in the best situation to deal with the problem).
- My apartment is perfectly adequate, but also a bit tired (the walls are paper thin as well, so if you have noisy neighbours then you're in for a bad time). Similarly, some of the common areas are desperately in need of an upgrade (the elevators are terrible). This is balanced against the fact that, as mentioned above, the maintenance team does a very good job of promptly fixing things whenever they break.
Good alternative for anyone who doesn't want to live in Regents/Shoreland. Good location, nice apartments, reasonably priced. Definitely planning to stay in this apartment if I remain in Hyde Park.
Great social scene
Good place to make friends and be near the social action, but a bit farther from Hyde Park bars and restaurants.
Worth the premium for being close to others and the great views.
Great for 1Ls
The Shoreland is a great choice for incoming law students. It is near the 171 Bus, and is student-friendly. The rent can run a bit high, though, so students on a tight budget might wish to consider another building.
Good place to live, may not be worth the price
The building is really nice, there's always someone at the front desk, elevators are always in order, the staff is really cordial. Sometimes the management and staff don't know certain information. Also, I live in a 2-bedroom with a roommate. She took the master bedroom and so pays slightly more of the rent, but even so my room is tiny. And for what I'm paying I feel like the spaces should be bigger. The free internet is also somewhat slow. It's reliable but when my roommate and I are both streaming video it can be slower than you'd want. All in all I like my apartment because it's convenient, newly renovated, and feels safe. But it may not be worth what I'm spending compared to what I see some of my classmates paying.
MAC is awful
Scheduled and unscheduled water shut offs happen frequently, requiring us to call services at 9pm to ask them to fix the pipes. Extensive water damage required constructing an entire wall, which was two days of work. MAC also got rid of the doorman at the front with no notice, despite advertising it as one of the perks of the building. Shower water temperature is not consistent--it runs from hot to cold though the knobs are not touched. Maintenance requests require days to fix. Overall, the worst apartment I have ever lived in.
Avoid MAC property management at all costs.